Clabecq BOF Shop


In August 1964 the brand new BOF shop of ¬†Forges de Clabecq S.A. in Ittre produced it’s first steel.
The steel plant included two 60 ton oxygen converters and a 1000 ton hot metal mixer and was planned and built by German GHH group from Oberhausen. Clabeq’s ancient six-vessel Thomas steel plant was closed down five years later.
At the same time a new plate rolling mill was built on the Ittre site by the Sack company from Germany.
After Chertal, Clabecq was only the second real BOF shop to be put into operation in Belgium (Single LD-AC converters had been installed in existing Thomas plants in Ougree and Montignies already though).
The LD-AC converters produced 1440 tons of raw steel per day and consumed 1300 t of hot metal, 330 t of scrap and 160 t of lime stone.
Hot metal was delivered in 60 ton ladles from the other side of the canal.
The Clabecq BOF shop was shut down on 31 December 2001.