Vallourec legt Ehrhardt-Presse in Reisholz still.

Ehrhardtpresse

Die, in diesen Dimensionen, weltweit einzigartige Presse arbeitet nicht mehr. Am Freitag wurde in Düsseldorf-Reisholz das letzte Nahtlosrohr produziert. Der 1899 gegründete Standort wird stillgelegt.
Der Absatzmarkt für das von Heinrich Ehrhardt erfundene Verfahren war in den letzten Jahren stetig kleiner geworden.
Rohlinge bis zu 28 t Gewicht konnten auf der Presse zu Nahtlosrohren bis 1500 mm Aussendurchmesser gepresst werden. Einsatzort der Rohre waren vor allem der Kraftwerks- und Chemieanlagenbau. 300 Mitarbeiter scheiden entweder über einen Sozialplan aus oder werden an den anderen Vallourecstandorten weiterbeschäftigt.

Tieföfen

ESW in Eschweiler closed down.

Yesterday the last seamless tubes were rolled at ESW in Eschweiler. This marks the end of the history of the former EBV-Hüttenbetriebe, the now largely forgotten steel subsidiary of Eschweiler Bergwerksverein.

Piercing stand

The plant in Eschweiler, Germany was founded in 1914 by the Eschweiler-Ratinger Maschinenbauaktiengesellschaft (ERMAG). In 1917 an open hearth shop was added to ensure the steel supply.
In 1924 the plant was taken over by the Eschweiler Bergwerksverein, a mining company mostly owned by ARBED from Luxemburg.
Pig iron was now supplied by the nearby EBV blast furnaces (Concordiahütte). In 1957 a new 30 t electric arc melt shop was built on ground of the now dismantled blast furnace site which had been closed down in 1941.
Two pilger rolling mills were commissioned in 1953 and 1961.
Since, due to the unfavourable transport situation, it did not make sense to produce mass-produced steels in competition with the Ruhr area, EBV-Hüttenbetriebe now specialised in the production of high-quality steels.
In 1965 a continuous caster and a second EAF where added. A new innovative planetary tube rolling mill (PSW) gradually replaced the outdated pilger rolling mills in 1976.
In 1984 the site was sold to the Maxhütte steel company from Bavaria.The EAF melt shop was closed in 1986 and one year later the Maxhütte went bancrupt. In order to save the new tube rolling mill the former plant manager, among others, took the mill over in 1987.

ESW-Röhrenwerke produced seamless steel tubes for the oil and gas industry,  boilers and engineering.
The last owner, Danieli from Italy, took over in 2016.
Further images.

Teeming ingots


BGH (Boschgotthardshütte) Freital is a speciality steel mill just outside of Dresden, Germany.
It was founded in 1855 under the name Sächsische Gußstahlfabrik benefited by the local iron ore and coal deposits.
After the second world war it was completly dismantled by the Soviets and rebuilt afterwards now called VEB Edelstahlwerk 8. Mai 1945 (date of the German capitulation).
The mill employed more than 5000 people and used to bet he largest speciality steel producer in the former DDR.
After the German reunification in 1990 the work force succesfully fought for the survival of their steel mill and Freital was privatized by the West German entrepreneur Rüdiger Winterhager from Siegen.

Today BGH Freital produces speciality steel in a 42 ton electric arc furnace and a downstream ladle furnace plus a VOD facility for further steel refining.Casting is done in a continuous horizontal caster or by teeming ingots.
The rolling department includes a blooming mill and a bar and wire rolling mill.
The forging division contains a continuous forging machine and a hammer mill.
BGH Freital employes more than 600 people.

Maxhütte OBM steel plant under demolition.

2001

Probably the last chance, after the demolition of the LD steel plant of Henrichshütte in Hattingen, to preserve a converter steel plant in Germany is wasted.
The OBM (Oxygen-Bodenblasen-Maxhütte) melt shop in Sulzbach-Rosenberg, built in 1974, with it’s three bottom blowing 65 t converters and the 1200 t hot metal mixer is under demoltion and will soon be gone:
VIDEO Bayrischer Rundfunk.