The Rothe Erde GmbH was founded in 1855 in Dortmund under the name Paulinenhütte. Main product was railroad equipment.In 1861 the Rothe Erde steel company from Aachen purchased the mill an gave it it’s final name. From 1926 on Rothe Erde was part of the Vereinigte Stahlwerke, the second largest steel producer worldwide. After rebuilding the destroyed works in the 1950ies Rothe Erde became part of the Hoesch steel group in 1966 and started to built up a modern ring rolling mill at their Dortmund works.
After the takeover of Hoesch by the Fried.Krupp steel company in 1993 Rothe Erde finally became part of the ThyssenKrupp group in 1999.Nowadays the Dortmund works are one of the largest ring rolling mills in Europe producing rings up to 8 meters.Further processing of rings to bearings or turntables is done in Dortmund and Lippstadt.