These days the last remains (coking coal tower, dry quenching facilities) of the coking plant Kaiserstuhl in Dortmund, Germany are knocked down.
The plant was built in 1992 to be the most modern coke making facility in Europe.
It supplied coke to the nearby Hoesch blast furnaces. The plant inluded two coke oven batteries of 60 furnaces each, and both a dry and a wet quenching facility.
When ThyssenKrupp announced the closure of it’s (former Hoesch) blast furnaces Kaiserstuhl was shut down after being in operation for just eigth years .
Ten years ago most of the mill was dismantled and rebuilt in the Shandong province, China.
This relocation was documented in the exiting movie Losers And Winners.
Further images of this plant at Stahlseite.
In between 1954 and 1962 the Hoesch company in Dortmund, Germany built it’s third open hearth melt shop (SM-Stahlwerk III).
Two 180 ton furnaces were installed by 1956, two DEMAG 210 ton furnaces were added in 1961 and 1962. These might have been the last to be commissioned in West Germany.
Monthly output was less than 100000 tons, not enough to compete with the new BOF shop in Dortmund Hörde built in 1963 producing more than 300000 t/m.
The open hearth shop 3 was closed in 1982.
Some images of it’s remains: Stahlseite.
Hoesch Spundwand und Profile (HSP) is the last survivor of the once fully integrated Dortmunder Union steel mill.
The Union AG für Bergbau, Eisen- und Stahl-Industrie was founded in 1872 west of Dortmund in Germany.
In 1881 three blast furnaces were built.
After the Union became part of the Deutsch-Luxemburgische Bergwerks- und Hütten-AG in 1910 an extensive modernisation scheme brought a new Thomas converter melt shop an open hearth shop,a blooming mill and the heavy section mill, called rolling mill NO1, that is partly still in use today.
In 1926 the Union works became part of the Vereinigte Stahlwerke AG from Düsseldorf.
After this company was dismantled after the second world war the Union works joined the Hörder Verein , another steel company from Dortmund, to form the Dortmund Hörder Hüttenunion (DHHU).
In 1957 a continuous medium section rolling mill was erected now called rolling mill NO 2.
In November 1963 the last of the five Union blast furnaces and the Thomas converter steel mill were closed for good.
In 1966 the DHHU was taken over by the Hoesch Stahl AG from Dortmund. The division was called “Werk Union” from now on.
In 1981 the open hearth shop and the rolling mill NO2 were closed.
In 1992 Hoesch was bought by the Krupp company from Essen. Two years later the new subdivision Hoesch Spundwand und Profile was founded.
From 1999 on the remaining rolling mill was part of the ThyssenKrupp Stahl company to be sold to the Salzgitter Stahl company in 2000.
HSP is the only producer of sheet piles and heavy sections in Germany now.
1. Heavy sections mill
2. Blooming mill
3. Former Thomas steel mill
4. Open hearth shop
5. Roll lathe plant
7. Medium sections mill
8. Boiler house
9. Repair shops
Once one of the largest engineering companies in Europe (later Rheinstahl Union Brückenbau AG) whose steel bridges are still present everywhere in Germany and that built the Assuan dam in Egypt has nearly disappeared by now.
The workshop south of the Dortmund harbor was famous for it’s 276 meter long and 60 meter wide main hall that housed a bridge assembly line.
This famous structure built in 1898 was torn down in 1995.
- BOF shop (Oxygenstahlwerk) closed 2001
- Open hearth shop IV ,former II (Siemens-Martin Stahlwerk IV, ehem. II) prob. closed in 1971
- Steel foundry (Stahlgiesserei) closed 1987
- Plate storage (Blechlagerhalle)
- Rolling mill 900 (900er Strasse)
- Blooming/slabbing mill (Blockbrammenstrasse) closed prob. 1985
- Heavy plate mill (Grobblechstrasse) closed 1982
- Finishing (Adjustage West)
- Finishing (Adjustage Ost)
- Roller lathe (Walzendreherei)
- Repair shop (Mechanische Werkstatt)
- Welding (Schweisserei)
- Forge (Pressbau)
- Slag mill (Schlackenmühle)
- Soaking pits (Tieföfen)
- Main storage (Zentrallager)