Anläßlich ihres 20-jährigen Jubiläums wurde die GWA noch als weitsichtige und lohnende Investition bezeichnet, nun aber, nur ein Jahr später, wird sie stillgelegt.
Als die GWA im April 1999 in Betrieb genommen wurde war sie die erste Anlage ihrer Art in einem integrierten Hüttenwerk weltweit.
Offenbar hat sich die Erzeugung von Breitband in einer Hitze in diesem Rahmen aber nicht bewährt denn Thyssen-Krupp Steel kündigt an die Anlage zu einer Warmbreitbandstrasse klassischer Bauart umzubauen.
The Rothe Erde GmbH was founded in 1855 in Dortmund under the name Paulinenhütte. Main product was railroad equipment.In 1861 the Rothe Erde steel company from Aachen purchased the mill an gave it it’s final name. From 1926 on Rothe Erde was part of the Vereinigte Stahlwerke, the second largest steel producer worldwide. After rebuilding the destroyed works in the 1950ies Rothe Erde became part of the Hoesch steel group in 1966 and started to built up a modern ring rolling mill at their Dortmund works.
After the takeover of Hoesch by the Fried.Krupp steel company in 1993 Rothe Erde finally became part of the ThyssenKrupp group in 1999.Nowadays the Dortmund works are one of the largest ring rolling mills in Europe producing rings up to 8 meters.Further processing of rings to bearings or turntables is done in Dortmund and Lippstadt.
A history of more than 170 years of steel making ended in Bochum, Germany in late June when the Nirosta stainless steel plant was closed for good.
The original BOF shop was built in 1957 by the Bochumer Verein to be only the second of it’s kind in Germany.
In 1972, after the closure of the blast furnace site both vessels were transformed into AOD converters and an electric arc furnace was installed in the same building to produce stainless steel.
In 1982 a huge new 135 MVA electric arc melt shop was attached and the old EAF was replaced by a ladle furnace.
I payed the site a final visit before the demolition started.
installed motor capacity makes the ThyssenKrupp hot strip mill in Bochum the most powerful rolling mill in Germany. Though the mill was already planned in the early 1960ies by the Bochumer Verein steel corporation it wasn’t until 1966, after the takeover by the Fried. Krupp company, that the mill was put into operation.
The mill is capable of rolling even high alloyed speciality steel.
After the closure of the adjacent Nirosta steel mill all primary material now comes from the August Thyssen Hütte in Duisburg.
Images now at stahlseite.
The unique casting rolling unit at ThyssenKrupp’s integrated steel mill in Duisburg, Germany produces strip up to 1,6 m wide with a combined caster and a 7-stand finishing mill in one heat.
The facilities were installed in 1999.
Images now at Stahlseite.
the hot strip mill No.2 in Duisburg-Beekerwerth celebrated it’s 50th anniversary in late June.
Installed in 1964 and producing about 6 Mio. tons of hot strip each year it still is one of the most powerfull rolling mills worldwide.
Images now at Stahlseite
The heavy plate mill in Duisburg-Hüttenheim, Germany was built by the Mannesmann company in 1963 to supply plates to their adjecent large diameter pipe welding mill (closed in 1978).
In 1970 the August Thyssen Hütte AG took over the flat rolling business from Mannesmann.
In 1978 the Sack company installed the 3,9 meter four-high rolling stand still in use today.
Images now at Stahlseite
The new coking plant Schwelgern in Duisburg, Germany was commmissioned by ThyssenKrupp in 2003 replacing the old August-Thyssen coke ovens.
Two batteries of 70 ovens each were built.
Some images now at Stahlseite.
The Nirosta Krefeld melt shop was closed on Friday, 6th of December after more than 110 years of steel making.
I had the chance for a last visit three weeks before.
Now at my website.
The steel mill in Krefeld, Germany was established in 1900 by Carl Spaeter, Peter Klöckner and August Thyssen under the name Krefelder Stahlwerk AG. Open hearth steel production started in 1901. In 1907 three rolling mills were installed. In 1911 a tube mill was added. A forging press went into production in 1917.
In 1927 the Krefeld mill became part of the speciality steel group Deutsche Edelstahlwerke AG out of Bochum, Germany.
The first electric arc furnace was installed in 1930.
The new melt shop number 3 including two 70 ton electric arc furnaces was built by DEMAG in 1952.
A new wire mill started rolling in 1963.Open hearth steel making ceased in 1970.The year 1971 saw the complete takeover by the August Thyssen Hütte AG from Duisburg.
The new name from 1974 on was Thyssen Edelstahlwerke AG the Krefeld mill was merged now with Edelstahlwerk Witten AG.
In 1977 the first of two 80 ton AOD-converters was installed by the GHH company.Two rolling mills were closed in 1982.
In 1985 one electric arc furnace was modernised and the other one closed down. In 1989 the old melt shop NO 1 (30 ton furnace) was closed.The wire mill was shut down in 1993.
A new name in 1994: Edelstahlwerke Witten-Krefeld GmbH.
Krefeld merged with Krupp’s Bochum based stainless steel mill to form Krupp Thyssen Nirosta GmbH in 1995.
All forging activities in Krefeld came to EWK (now Deutsche Edelstahlwerke). A strip caster was installed in 2001.
VAI Siemens installed two new 80 ton AOD-converters in 2009.
The Finnish Outokumpu group takes over the Nirosta mills (now called Inoxum) in 2012.
According to a German newspaper the Finnish Outokumpu steel corporation declared yesterday that they will definitely close their stainless steel mill in Bochum, Germany they only just had bought from ThyssenKrupp in 2016.
Main reason are the high energy costs in Germany.
The mills includes an electric arc melt shop built in 1982 (the 145 ton UHP furnace is one of the largest in Germany) and the converter mill built by the Bochumer Verein in 1957.
This BOF shop is the oldest existing in Germany. It was converted into an AOD shop in 1972.
After GM recently announced the closure of it’s Bochum car assembly plant for 2016 this is another heavy blow for Bochum’s economy.
Images at stahlseite.de