Once one of the largest engineering companies in Europe (later Rheinstahl Union Brückenbau AG) whose steel bridges are still present everywhere in Germany and that built the Assuan dam in Egypt has nearly disappeared by now.
The workshop south of the Dortmund harbor was famous for it’s 276 meter long and 60 meter wide main hall that housed a bridge assembly line.
This famous structure built in 1898 was torn down in 1995.
This plan shows the former Hermannshütte in Dortmund-Hörde, Germany, probably in the early 1970ies before the first continuous caster was built:
- BOF shop (Oxygenstahlwerk) closed 2001
- Open hearth shop IV ,former II (Siemens-Martin Stahlwerk IV, ehem. II) prob. closed in 1971
- Steel foundry (Stahlgiesserei) closed 1987
- Plate storage (Blechlagerhalle)
- Rolling mill 900 (900er Strasse)
- Blooming/slabbing mill (Blockbrammenstrasse) closed prob. 1985
- Heavy plate mill (Grobblechstrasse) closed 1982
- Finishing (Adjustage West)
- Finishing (Adjustage Ost)
- Roller lathe (Walzendreherei)
- Repair shop (Mechanische Werkstatt)
- Welding (Schweisserei)
- Forge (Pressbau)
- Slag mill (Schlackenmühle)
- Soaking pits (Tieföfen)
- Main storage (Zentrallager)
Today the area is transformed into a lake.
Some inside views.