Anfang der 1950er-Jahre war das Ruhrgebiet noch jenes einzigartige Labyrinth aus Werksanlagen der Schwerindustrie, Eisenbahntrassen, Kanälen und zersiedelten Großstädten, das der amerikanische Journalist Max Ascoli 1949 unter der Überschrift “Industrial Jungle: the Ruhr” beschrieben hatte. Die kürzlich vom Regionalverband Ruhr veröffentlichten historischen Luftbilder des Ruhrgebiets erlauben nun einen faszinierenden Rückblick auf diese Landschaft.
Als Ergänzung zu den Luftbildern aus dem Jahr 1952 ist diese Karte entstanden.
Sie zeigt die wichtigsten Industriebetriebe der Region in dieser Zeit gegliedert nach Branchen.
1: Hochofen IV. 1972-1999.
2: Hochofen VI. 1965-1976
3: Hochofen VII(alt) 1962-1976
5: SM-Stahlwerk 2. 1912-1980
6: SM-Stahlwerk 3. 1956-1982
7: Thomasstahlwerk. 1928-1967
8: Elektrostahlwerk. 1955-1985
9: Blockwalzwerk. 1900-1983
10: Fertigstrasse (Schwere Profile). 1900-1968
11: Walzwerk III (Halbzeug). 1888-1966
12: Walzwerke IV/V. -1966
13: Kontinuierliche Halbzeugstrasse. 1955-1983
14: Walzwerk VIII. (Feinstahl). -1957
15: Feineisenstrasse. 1957-1983
16: Warmbreitbandstrasse. 1958-2001
21: Feuerfest- Steinfabrik
25: Sinterbänder 1/2
26: Sinterband 3. 1961-
Some images at Stahlseite.de .
The steel mill in Dabrowa Gornica, Poland was built in between 1972 and 1976. It was named “Huta Katowice” after the nearby industrial town.
Three blast furnaces were built in between 1976 and 1987 (hearth diameter 12,00 m).
The mill was taken over by the Mittal Steel Corp. in 2003 and got it’s new name ArcelorMittal Dabrowa Gornica in 2007.
Besides the three blast furnaces (No. 1 is permanently idleld) the mill operates a BOF shop containing three BOF vessels, two continuous casters (one for billets and one for slabs) and two rolling mills (Heavy and medium sections).
Dabrowa Gornica provides primary material for all ArcelorMittal sites in Poland.
The attached coke plant was sold to an external company.
Further images at stahlseite.de .
1: Blast furnace No. 1
2: Blast furnace No. 2
3: Blast furnace No. 3
4: BOF shop
5: Continuous caster
6: Heavy sections rolling mill
7: Medium sections rolling mill
8: Power plant
50 years ago the Rheinstahl AG from Essen, Germany finally cancelled it’s plans to built a BOF shop, a continuous caster and a bar rolling mill at it’s foundry site in Gelsenkirchen.
The Schalker Gruben- und Hüttenverein was founded in 1872 and became Europe’s largest iron foundry after the second world war, employing more than 6000 people. The plans provided an investment of more than 300 Mio.German Marks and an initial capacity of 600000 tons of steel per year. Though the ground (north of the foundry no.3, next to the Wannerstrasse) was already prepared the whole project was called off due to growing overcapacities on the steel market. So the Schalker Verein stayed an iron foundry with four blast furnaces, a pipe casting mill, two fittings-foundries and a foundry for large castings up to 40 tons a piece
The image shows the melt shop of the pipe casting mill where ductile iron pipes with a diameter up to 1,4 meter were casted. The shop included a 160 ton hot metal mixer and five 13 ton induction furnaces and was built in 1966. The hot metal was provided by the Schalker Verein blast furnaces and later came from Thyssen’s Duisburg Meiderich site (today: Landschaftspark Nord).
The foundry was sold to Thyssen in 1973.The last blast furnace was closed in 1982. The three remaining blast furnaces were demolished in-between April and September of 1983.
The last pipe was casted in 2004 (meanwhile the mill was sold to the French Pont a Mousson/Saint Gobain company). Most of the ground is a redevelopment site by now.
Some historic images at Daniel Hinze’s site.
1: Blast furnace no.1 (Hochofen 1)
2: Blast furnace no.2 (Hochofen 2)
3: Blast furnace no.4 (Hochofen 4)
4: Storage with highline (Möllerbunker)
5: Power station (Kraftzentrale)
6: Sinter plant (Sinteranlage)
7: Pipe foundry (Rohrgiesserei)
8: Fittings foundry no.1 ( Formstückgiesserei 1)
9: Foundry for large castings (Grossgusswerk)
The steel mill in Kryvyi Rih (Russ. Krivoy Rog) was founded in 1931 on the rich iron or deposits of the Ukrainian Kryvbas basin.
In 1934 the mill was ready to produce hot metal out of one blast furnace. By 1939 three blast furnaces a coke plant and a Bessemer shop were in operation. In the second world war the Kryvyi Rih Metallurgical Works were dismantled by the Soviets and the remains destroyed by the German army.
In 1949 blast furnace No.1 was blown on. By 1960 four rolling mills and a 600 ton open hearth furnace were installed.
Blast furnace No.7 was built in 1962, No. 8 and No. 9 (one of the largest worldwide) followed in 1970 and 1974.
In 1996 the Kryvyi Rih State Mining and Metallurgical Combine (Krivorizhstal) brought together the metallurgical and the mining activities in the Kryvbas basin.
In 2004 the mill was privatized for the first time to an Ukrainian syndicate.
This was canceled one year later and the second privatisation found the Mittal Steel company as a new owner.
Since 2007 Krivorizhstal is part of the worlds largest steel company ArcelorMittal.
Today ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih employs 35000 people main products are billets, bars, rod and wire.
1: Light-section mill 250-2
2: Rod mill 150-1
3: Light-section mill 250-1
4: Light-section mill 250-3
5: Light-section mill 250-4
6: Light-section mill 250-5
7: Rod mill 250-3
8: Blooming mill No.1
9: Soaking pits
10: Blooming mill No.2
11: Soaking Pits
12. Light-section mill 250-6
13: Wire mill
14: Forge shop
15: Oxygen plant
16: BOF shop (6×160 ton)
17: Open hearth shop (1×550 ton, 1×700 ton)
18: Power station
19: Blast furnace No.8
20: Blast furnace No.7
21: Blast furnace No.6
22: Blast furnace No.5
23: Blast furnace No.1
24: Blast furnace No.9
25: Coke plant (6 batteries)
Once one of the largest engineering companies in Europe (later Rheinstahl Union Brückenbau AG) whose steel bridges are still present everywhere in Germany and that built the Assuan dam in Egypt has nearly disappeared by now.
The workshop south of the Dortmund harbor was famous for it’s 276 meter long and 60 meter wide main hall that housed a bridge assembly line.
This famous structure built in 1898 was torn down in 1995.
- BOF shop (Oxygenstahlwerk) closed 2001
- Open hearth shop IV ,former II (Siemens-Martin Stahlwerk IV, ehem. II) prob. closed in 1971
- Steel foundry (Stahlgiesserei) closed 1987
- Plate storage (Blechlagerhalle)
- Rolling mill 900 (900er Strasse)
- Blooming/slabbing mill (Blockbrammenstrasse) closed prob. 1985
- Heavy plate mill (Grobblechstrasse) closed 1982
- Finishing (Adjustage West)
- Finishing (Adjustage Ost)
- Roller lathe (Walzendreherei)
- Repair shop (Mechanische Werkstatt)
- Welding (Schweisserei)
- Forge (Pressbau)
- Slag mill (Schlackenmühle)
- Soaking pits (Tieföfen)
- Main storage (Zentrallager)