1/72 Alan Wood Steel Co.

In 1965 there were 237 blast furnaces at 72 locations in the U.S. . This series will briefly introduce all of them.

BF 3. American Iron and Steel Institute

Alan Wood Co. in Conshohocken, Pa. was founded in 1929 and was one of the smaller producers.
The company operated two blast furnaces and a coking plant (151 ovens) on the opposite side of the Schuylkill River in Swedeland. “Swede Furnaces” No. 2 & 3 produced pig iron for the upstream open hearth steelworks at Ivy Rock.
The main products were sheet and strip steel. Annual hot rolled capacity was about 1.25 mio. tonnes.
In August 1977 the plant was one of the first in the USA to fall victim to the steel crisis and was closed.
In 1968 a BOF shop had been built, probably one of the most short-lived in the USA.

Alan Wood blast furnaces, Swedeland, 1965.
Blast furnace 2: Hearth diameter 18’0” (5,48 m)
Blast furnace 3: Hearth diameter 18’0” (5,48 m)

In Google Maps.

Natrona, Pennsylvania

A small, former, industrial village on the banks of the Allegheny River.
In the background the remarkable Allegheny Ludlum melt shop from 1966 that hosts a huge 114″ (2,90 meter) hot blast cupola furnace, two 80 ton BOF vessels and three 70 ton induction furnaces.  The cupola furnace  produced up to 65 tons of hot metal per hour and was closed down in the late 1970ies to be replaced by the induction furnaces.
The melt shop was shut down in 2010 and is now demolished.