The Fritz Winter iron foundry in Stadtallendorf, Germany operates one of the largest foundry melt shops worldwide. Two hot blast cupola furnaces and ten induction furnaces can melt up to 2800 tons of iron each day.
The company was founded in 1951 on ground of a former explosives factory.
Today the plant is the largest independent foundry in Europe employing 3500 people.
Main product are engine blocks and brake discs for the car industry.
Further images at Stahlseite.
My hometown Hagen once was one of the major steel producing communities in Germany.
Blast furnaces,open hearth shops and numerous foundries shaped the confined townscape in the narrow valleys of the Volme and Ennepe rivers.
The largest steel mill, the Hasper Hütte owned by the Klöckner company, was closed in 1972 and the huge Wittmann steel foundry next to it just one year later.
The last major steel producer in town, the open hearth shop of Stahlwerke Südwestfalen was shut down in 1976, smaller ones like the Remy speciality steel mill followed in the 1990ies.
The Eisenwerk Geweke was founded in 1910 and is specialized in steel fittings.
A five ton electric arc furnace and a small induction furnace are producing castings up to four tons a piece.
Further viewing at Stahlseite.
Eisenwerk Brühl south of Cologne, Germany runs one of the largest cupola furnaces in Europe.
Installed in 1981 it delivers 90 tons of hot metal each hour.
Up to 26000 engine blocks can be casted daily.
The foundry was established in 1927 by Georg and Maria Sandmann.
Right from the start the main products were cast iron engine blocks for the car industry.
It is said that one out of five blocks in the world comes from Brühl.
Casting the lower beam of a forging press from four ladles at Industeel in Le Creusot, France.
The first iron works the „Royal Foundry“ started production in Le Creusot, France in 1782.
In 1836 Adolphe und Eugène Schneider took over the foundry and made it into the “French Krupp”, a factory producing speciality steels, locomotives, large weapons and machinery.
In 1876 the largest steam hammer worldwide (100 ton) was installed at Schneider & Cie .The first hydraulik press starts production in 1890.
In 1920 more than 20000 people are employed in the mill’s blast furnaces, open hearth shops, rolling mills, forges, foundries and mechanical shops.
Iron production is closed down in 1940.
From 1949 on the mills in Le Creusot are named “Société des Forges et Ateliers du Creusot (SFAC)”.
In 1952 a 7500-ton hydraulic press (a reparation from Germany) was installed.
The first nuclear power plant equipment is produced in 1954.
In 1970 the SFAC joins the “Cie. des Ateliers et Forges de la Loire” to form “Creusot-Loire Industries“.
In 1984 Creusot Loire filed bancruptcy and the steel and rolling mills were taken over by USINOR.In 1998 the Creusot steel activities were merged with the Belgian Fabrique de Fer de Charleroi to form Industeel.
Industeel Le Creusot today runs a 100 ton electric arc furnace, a 4 meter heavy plate mill and a steel foundry.
Industeel is part of ArcelorMittal since 2006.
Founded in 1921 the Metallwerk Fritz Kleinken is a medium size foundry on the northern rim of the industrial Ruhr-Area in Germany.
It produces grey iron and nodular iron castings up to 30 tons a piece from two cupola and two induction furnaces.
Fritz Kleinken employes 180 people.
Further images at Stahlseite.
The SHB steel foundry in Leipzig, Germany was founded in 1894 by Max Heller.It moved from Leipzig to Bösdorf in 1917.
After the second world war the mill was nationalized under the new name VEB Stahl- und Hartgusswerk Bösdorf. The first electric arc furnace in the DDR was installed here in the 1950ies.
The mill supplied abrasive resistent steel castings to the east German mining industry.
In the early 1980ies the city of Bösdorf was torn down to make way for the neighbouring lignite open pit mine. The foundry moved to its new site in Leipzig-Knautnaundorf.
One of the largest foundries in eastern Germany was built here in between 1980 and 1984.
In 1993 the plant was privatized and became a shareholders company.
In 1997 the DIHAG group from Essen took over.
Further viewing: Stahlseite .
This compact electric arc melt shop produces steel for Edelstahlwerke Schmees in Pirna, Germany.
The mill was founded in 1920 and is spezialized in steel castings up to 10 tons.
Further images at Stahlseite.de .
Though the blast furnaces are long gone, the town of Siegen in Germany is still the capital of roller production. Five foundries still cast rollers for the steel industry, paper mills and other industries.
One of them is the Karl Buch roller foundry.
The company was founded in 1855 by Karl Buch and is located in Siegen- Weidenau since 1867.
The foundry produced alloyed rollers since 1920. In 1955 the cupola furnaces were replaced by modern electric furnaces.
Since 1984 a vertical centrifugal caster for rolls up to 60 tons is in use.
Today rollers up 85 tons can be casted statically.
The foundry is still owned by the Buch family.
Further images at stahlseite.de .
The Silbitz foundry was established in 1938 in a rather remote area of the German Reich to produce military equipment. During the war more than 1000 workers were employed.
In 1946 the foundry was nationalized and became part of the SAG Marten (Soviet stock company) and in 1954 the VEB Stahlgiesserei Elstertal Silbitz. This company was privatized in 1990 and is named Silbitz Guss GmbH since.
The foundry produces nodular iron and steel castings up to eight tons a piece.
Two eight ton electric arc furnaces and four induction furnaces are in use.