In August 1964 the brand new BOF shop of Forges de Clabecq S.A. in Ittre produced it’s first steel.
The steel plant included two 60 ton oxygen converters and a 1000 ton hot metal mixer and was planned and built by German GHH group from Oberhausen. Clabeq’s ancient six-vessel Thomas steel plant was closed down five years later.
At the same time a new plate rolling mill was built on the Ittre site by the Sack company from Germany.
After Chertal, Clabecq was only the second real BOF shop to be put into operation in Belgium (Single LD-AC converters had been installed in existing Thomas plants in Ougree and Montignies already though).
The LD-AC converters produced 1440 tons of raw steel per day and consumed 1300 t of hot metal, 330 t of scrap and 160 t of lime stone.
Hot metal was delivered in 60 ton ladles from the other side of the canal.
The Clabecq BOF shop was shut down on 31 December 2001.
With the construction of three new steelworks at the end of the 1950s, the Thomas steel making process (Basic-Bessemer) experienced its technical peak and a final blossoming.
Between May 1958 and August 1959, HADIR in Differdange, Phoenix Rheinrohr in Duisburg and Cockerill-Ougree in Liege commissioned a total of 13 converters with tapping weights between 50 and 70 tons.
All of them had been planned and built by DEMAG in Duisburg.
The Thomas steel plant in Liege-Ougree, with its futuristic façade at that time,
will remain the last new construction of its kind in the western world.
Five 56 t Thomas converters and two 1500 t hot metal mixers were put into operation on 4 August 1959 and were supplemented by a 60 t LD-AC converter in 1962.
In December 1975 the Thomas steel works in Liege were shut down.
5 years later the use of the basic bessemer process in the western hemisphere was finally terminated.
In 1973, after good results with the conversion of the old Thomas (basic Bessemer) plant at Monceau, Forges de Thy-Marcinelle et Monceau ordered a new OBM-steel making shop (Oxygen-Bodenblasen-Maxhütte) from a consortium VÖEST-Alpine–GHH-Sterkrade.The 17500 m² melt shop went into production in April,1976 and included a 2000 t hot metal mixer and three 150 t OBM-converters with 18 tuyeries each.
It was closed down in 2008 and will soon be gone.
In the late 1950ies when advertising became colored, some ads looked a bit over the top like this one of the Laminoirs de Longtain.
The company near La Louviere, Belgium was founded in 1925 and hot rolled steel until 1984. The remaining cold finishing activities were closed down in 2016. The site is now awaiting it’s demolition.
A new map in the collection: Usines Gustave Boel, La Louviere in 1972.
Click on coloured areas for informations.