Anläßlich ihres 20-jährigen Jubiläums wurde die GWA noch als weitsichtige und lohnende Investition bezeichnet, nun aber, nur ein Jahr später, wird sie stillgelegt.
Als die GWA im April 1999 in Betrieb genommen wurde war sie die erste Anlage ihrer Art in einem integrierten Hüttenwerk weltweit.
Offenbar hat sich die Erzeugung von Breitband in einer Hitze in diesem Rahmen aber nicht bewährt denn Thyssen-Krupp Steel kündigt an die Anlage zu einer Warmbreitbandstrasse klassischer Bauart umzubauen.
Die letzte schwere Profilstrasse in Deutschland, 2015 war Schluß.
Yesterday the last seamless tubes were rolled at ESW in Eschweiler. This marks the end of the history of the former EBV-Hüttenbetriebe, the now largely forgotten steel subsidiary of Eschweiler Bergwerksverein.
The plant in Eschweiler, Germany was founded in 1914 by the Eschweiler-Ratinger Maschinenbauaktiengesellschaft (ERMAG). In 1917 an open hearth shop was added to ensure the steel supply.
In 1924 the plant was taken over by the Eschweiler Bergwerksverein, a mining company mostly owned by ARBED from Luxemburg.
Pig iron was now supplied by the nearby EBV blast furnaces (Concordiahütte). In 1957 a new 30 t electric arc melt shop was built on ground of the now dismantled blast furnace site which had been closed down in 1941.
Two pilger rolling mills were commissioned in 1953 and 1961.
Since, due to the unfavourable transport situation, it did not make sense to produce mass-produced steels in competition with the Ruhr area, EBV-Hüttenbetriebe now specialised in the production of high-quality steels.
In 1965 a continuous caster and a second EAF where added. A new innovative planetary tube rolling mill (PSW) gradually replaced the outdated pilger rolling mills in 1976.
In 1984 the site was sold to the Maxhütte steel company from Bavaria.The EAF melt shop was closed in 1986 and one year later the Maxhütte went bancrupt. In order to save the new tube rolling mill the former plant manager, among others, took the mill over in 1987.
ESW-Röhrenwerke produced seamless steel tubes for the oil and gas industry, boilers and engineering.
The last owner, Danieli from Italy, took over in 2016.
As I have only now learned, the last pipe was casted at Saint Gobain’s iron foundry in Saarbrücken on October 11th, the cupola furnace was shut down.
After 150 years, pipe production at the Brebach site has now come to an end. Since the neighbouring Gusswerke Saarbrücken are bankrupt, the iron production of the former Halberger Hütte could soon be history.
The Saint Gobain Gussrohr works were founded in 1756 as the Halberger Hütte hence they were one of the oldest industrial enterprises in Germany.
In 1869 the first blast furnaces went into production and a pipe foundry was built.
Since 1929 centrifugal casting machines are in use and in 1958 production of ductile iron started.
In 1972 the french tube manufacturer Pont a Mousson took over.
In 1993 all blast furnaces were abandoned and a new cupola furnace was built.
2009 brought a new name: Saint Gobain PAMDeutschland GmbH.
I have visited them twice.
Further images here.
Immerhin bleibt uns der Konverter als Kreisverkehrdeko erspart.
Dank an den Sulzbacher Fotografen der lieber ungenannt bleiben möchte.
BGH (Boschgotthardshütte) Freital is a speciality steel mill just outside of Dresden, Germany.
It was founded in 1855 under the name Sächsische Gußstahlfabrik benefited by the local iron ore and coal deposits.
After the second world war it was completly dismantled by the Soviets and rebuilt afterwards now called VEB Edelstahlwerk 8. Mai 1945 (date of the German capitulation).
The mill employed more than 5000 people and used to bet he largest speciality steel producer in the former DDR.
After the German reunification in 1990 the work force succesfully fought for the survival of their steel mill and Freital was privatized by the West German entrepreneur Rüdiger Winterhager from Siegen.
Today BGH Freital produces speciality steel in a 42 ton electric arc furnace and a downstream ladle furnace plus a VOD facility for further steel refining.Casting is done in a continuous horizontal caster or by teeming ingots.
The rolling department includes a blooming mill and a bar and wire rolling mill.
The forging division contains a continuous forging machine and a hammer mill.
BGH Freital employes more than 600 people.