The Rothe Erde GmbH was founded in 1855 in Dortmund under the name Paulinenhütte. Main product was railroad equipment.In 1861 the Rothe Erde steel company from Aachen purchased the mill an gave it it’s final name. From 1926 on Rothe Erde was part of the Vereinigte Stahlwerke, the second largest steel producer worldwide. After rebuilding the destroyed works in the 1950ies Rothe Erde became part of the Hoesch steel group in 1966 and started to built up a modern ring rolling mill at their Dortmund works.
After the takeover of Hoesch by the Fried.Krupp steel company in 1993 Rothe Erde finally became part of the ThyssenKrupp group in 1999.Nowadays the Dortmund works are one of the largest ring rolling mills in Europe producing rings up to 8 meters.Further processing of rings to bearings or turntables is done in Dortmund and Lippstadt.
works at the DEW wire mill in Hagen.
A few new images.
Fotografien von Uwe Niggemeier.
Ausstellung im Hoesch-Museum, Dortmund.
A few new images from Siegen:
in Mülheim was installed nearly 50 years ago in 1969. The 270 t rolling stand was manufactured by the Sack Maschinenfabrik in Düsseldorf, it was the largest of it’s kind in Germany. Today it is owned by Salzgitter Mannesmann Grobblech and mostly delivers heavy plates to the Europipe tube welding facilities in Mülheim.
Way up north right beside the seashore lies Germany’s largest steel foundry.
Sande Stahlguss produces steel castings up to 45 tons a piece.
The foundry runs two electric arc furnaces and a 45 ton AOD-converter for highly alloyed steel grades.
In 1963 the wide hot strip rolling mill in Salzgitter was the third of it’s kind to be installed after the war in Germany.
Das Edelstahlwerk Ossenberg wurde 1907 gegründet und beschäftigt sich seit 1930 mit der Edelstahlherstellung.
After nearly 120 years of steel production the former Carlshütte in Thionville, France was closed down last week.
The steel mill in Pilsen was founded in 1859 by Ernst Graf Waldstein-Wartenberg.
In 1869 it was taken over by engineer Emil Ritter von Škoda.
In the 20th century it became the largest industrial company in Czechoslovakia producing steel, forgings, machinery, cars, tanks and guns.
In 2004 the steel making, forging and foundry branch was split off and sold to a Russian company.