14/38. Birlenbacher Hütte, Schleifenbaum

1959 gab es in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland noch 156 Hochöfen an 38 Standorten. Alle Standorte und alle Hochöfen sollen in dieser Serie im Kurzportrait vorgestellt werden.

Die 1453 gegründete Birlenbacher Hütte in Geisweid, heute Siegen, stellte 1959 in zwei kleinen Hochöfen kalterblasenes Spezialroheisen her. Dabei wurde der Hochofenwind auf nur circa 300-400° vorerhitzt. In einem nachgeschalteten E-Ofen konnte das Roheisen dann im Duplexbetrieb weiter veredelt werden. Das Eisen ging dann in der Regel an Gießereien.
1971 wurde die Hütte als einer der letzten Kleinbetriebe seiner Art in Deutschland stillgelegt.
Die Birlenbacher Hütte erzeugte 1959 33.741 t Roheisen.
Hochöfen Birlenbacher Hütte, 1959.
Hochofen 1: Gestelldurchmesser 1,92 m.
Hochofen 2: Gestelldurchmesser 1,92 m.

ESW in Eschweiler closed down.

Yesterday the last seamless tubes were rolled at ESW in Eschweiler. This marks the end of the history of the former EBV-Hüttenbetriebe, the now largely forgotten steel subsidiary of Eschweiler Bergwerksverein.

Piercing stand

The plant in Eschweiler, Germany was founded in 1914 by the Eschweiler-Ratinger Maschinenbauaktiengesellschaft (ERMAG). In 1917 an open hearth shop was added to ensure the steel supply.
In 1924 the plant was taken over by the Eschweiler Bergwerksverein, a mining company mostly owned by ARBED from Luxemburg.
Pig iron was now supplied by the nearby EBV blast furnaces (Concordiahütte). In 1957 a new 30 t electric arc melt shop was built on ground of the now dismantled blast furnace site which had been closed down in 1941.
Two pilger rolling mills were commissioned in 1953 and 1961.
Since, due to the unfavourable transport situation, it did not make sense to produce mass-produced steels in competition with the Ruhr area, EBV-Hüttenbetriebe now specialised in the production of high-quality steels.
In 1965 a continuous caster and a second EAF where added. A new innovative planetary tube rolling mill (PSW) gradually replaced the outdated pilger rolling mills in 1976.
In 1984 the site was sold to the Maxhütte steel company from Bavaria.The EAF melt shop was closed in 1986 and one year later the Maxhütte went bancrupt. In order to save the new tube rolling mill the former plant manager, among others, took the mill over in 1987.

ESW-Röhrenwerke produced seamless steel tubes for the oil and gas industry,  boilers and engineering.
The last owner, Danieli from Italy, took over in 2016.
Further images.

Aviles Coking Plant shut down.

 

Already on 30 September 2019, ArcelorMittal shut down the last two (3&4) of eight batteries  at it’s Aviles coking plant in Spain.
The coking plant had been built from 1951 onwards as part of an economic programme; Franco’s dream of an industrialized Spain.
With it’s closure, the last major unit of the once state-owned steel group ENSIDESA will disappear.
The plant had 8 batteries of 30 ovens each and was planned and built by Didier-KOGAG-Hinselmann, an engineering company from Essen. It supplied coke to the finally four blast furnaces in Aviles (which have since been demolished).
In 1973, the state-owned ENSIDESA took over the neighbouring private steelworks UNINSA in Gijon. The coking plant there is also currently shut down, so that the last active blast furnace (furnace A) in Spain has to be supplied with imported coke. It is therefore questionable whether and when blast furnace B will be restarted.

Großraumlichtbogenöfen

1956/57 nahm die Hütten- und Bergwerke Rheinhausen AG die ersten Großraumlichtbogenöfen in Deutschland in Betrieb. Die beiden 120 t Öfen wurden von der DEMAG (Ofen 31) und BBC  (Ofen 32) in einem Anbau des SM-Stahlwerks 2 montiert und waren die größten in Europa.

Ofen 31

Ausschlaggebend für den Entschluß dort keine weiteren SM-Öfen zu bauen waren die geringeren Investitionskosten und die bessere Energieausbeute der Lichtbogenöfen. Außerdem stand auf der Hütte reichlich Hochofengas zur Verstromung zur Verfügung. Restlos überzeugt war man in Rheinhausen wohl nicht von der neuen Technik. Anfang der 1960er Jahre  befand man, daß die Öfen sich, gemessen an der Tatsache, daß es sich um Neukonstruktionen handelte, ” im großen und ganzen recht gut bewährt haben”.
Die E-Öfen in Rheinhausen wurden 1982 nach der Inbetriebnahme des neuen 120 t UHP Lichtbogenofens in Bochum stillgelegt.

Back at La Louviere

Roughing Stand

Back at the old Gustave Boël site in La Louviere, Belgium after 13 years.
A lot has changed, no more steel making, no more continuous casting, no more wire rolling.
NLMK from Russia took over in 2011 and still operates the 72″ hot strip mill  which was put into operation in November 1965.

Finishing stands

Together with the LD steelworks, it was part of a major investment in anticipation of the extension of the Brüssel-Charleroi Canal for 1350 t vessels.
The roughing stand was supplied by Maschinenfabrik Sack in Düsseldorf – the finishing line was a cooperation between Siemag from Hilchenbach and the United Engineering and Foundry Company from Pittsburgh.
The roughing stand was equipped with two 5000 kW DC engines and each finishing stand was driven by a 4500 kW DC motor.
Further images on my website.

Réhon’s Converter Zoo

Cockerill’s construction of a new melt shop in Réhon, France in 1978 was the last major investment into the dying steel basin of Longwy.
The two O.B.M. converters (Oxygen Bodenblasen Maxhütte) were installed in the relocated halls of the former Thomas steelworks in Ougree, Belgium, closed down in 1975.
Between June and October 1979 Cockerill now operated a real converter zoo in Réhon.
Consisting of:
Two new 80 t O.B.M converters.
Two old 26 t former Thomas converters which were converted to O.B.M. in 1973.
Three 23 t Thomas converters from 1953
and a 36 t O.L.P. (Oxygen Lance Poudre) converter from 1963.
There was also an electric steel plant.
Since the LD process, which was successfully used worldwide, could not be applied due to the high-phosphor domestic ores, numerous new steel production processes were introduced in Lorraine.
None of them was very sustainable.
The Thomas converters were shut down in October 1979, the old O.B.M. converters and the O.L.P. steelworks one year later.
On 30.7.1987, after only 8 years of operation, the new O.B.M. steel plant, now owned by USINOR, was shut down too. In 1980 a third converter had been added.

13/38. Röchling’sche Eisen- und Stahlwerke.

1959 gab es in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland noch 156 Hochöfen an 38 Standorten. Alle Standorte und alle Hochöfen sollen in dieser Serie im Kurzportrait vorgestellt werden.

Die Röchling’schen Eisen- und Stahlwerke verfügten 1959 im Werk Völklingen über 6 Hochöfen.
Die Hochöfen wurden über eine gemeinsame Hängebahn beschickt und produzierten im wesentlichen Thomas-Roheisen aus lothringischer Minette.
Alle Öfen wurden zwischen 1974 und 1981 auf 7,3 m Gestelldurchmesser erweitert und zwischen Dezember 1984 und Juli 1986 stillgelegt.
Die Roheisenerzeugung wurde danach durch die 1981 gegründete Roheisengesellschaft Saar (ROGESA) in Dillingen übernommen.
Die Hochöfen sind weitgehend komplett museal erhalten und seit 1994 Unesco-Welterbe.

Die Völklinger Hütte erzeugte 1959 1.1 Mio. t Roheisen.
Hochöfen Röchling’sche Eisen- und Stahlwerke, 1959.
Hochofen 1: Gestelldurchmesser 5,8 m.
Hochofen 2: Gestelldurchmesser 5,8 m.
Hochofen 3: Gestelldurchmesser 5,6 m.
Hochofen 4: Gestelldurchmesser 6,5 m.
Hochofen 5: Gestelldurchmesser 5,8 m.
Hochofen 6: Gestelldurchmesser 5,8 m.

Saint Gobain pipe foundry closed.


As I have only now learned, the last pipe was casted at Saint Gobain’s iron foundry in Saarbrücken on October 11th, the cupola furnace was shut down.
After 150 years, pipe production at the Brebach site has now come to an end. Since the neighbouring Gusswerke Saarbrücken are bankrupt, the iron production of the former Halberger Hütte could soon be history.

The Saint Gobain Gussrohr works were founded in 1756 as the Halberger Hütte hence they were one of the oldest industrial enterprises in Germany.
In 1869 the first blast furnaces went into production and a pipe foundry was built.
Since 1929 centrifugal casting machines are in use and in 1958 production of ductile iron started.
In 1972 the french tube manufacturer Pont a Mousson took over.
In 1993 all blast furnaces were abandoned and a new cupola furnace was built.
2009 brought a new name: Saint Gobain PAMDeutschland GmbH.

I have visited them twice.
Further images here.

 

12/38. Hoesch-Westfalenhütte.

1959 gab es in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland noch 156 Hochöfen an 38 Standorten. Alle Standorte und alle Hochöfen sollen in dieser Serie im Kurzportrait vorgestellt werden.

Hochöfen 7 & 6

Die Hoesch AG verfügte 1959 im Werk Westfalenhütte in Dortmund über 6 Hochöfen.
Die Hochöfen 4 (1235 m³) und 6 (1359 m³) waren 1957 und 1954 neu zugestellt worden und gehörten zu den größten in Europa. Der Ofen 6 wurde 1976 stillgelegt.
Der 1941 erbaute Hochofen 7 war einer der wenigen freitragenden in Deutschland (Brassertofen) er wurde 1961 umgebaut und auf einen Gestelldurchmesser von 7,5 m erweitert.

Hochöfen 4-1

Die Öfen 4 und 7 wurden in den 1980er Jahren auf 9,7 m bzw. 10,00 m Gestelldurchmesser ausgebaut und beendeten 1999/2001 mit ihrer Stilllegung die Roheisenproduktion in Dortmund.

 

 

 

 

Die Westfalenhütte erzeugte 1959 1.092.791 t Thomas-Roheisen und 305.080 t Stahleisen.
Hochöfen Hoesch-Westfalenhütte, 1959.
Hochofen 1: Gestelldurchmesser 6,5 m.
Hochofen 2: Gestelldurchmesser 6,5 m.
Hochofen 3: Gestelldurchmesser 5,5 m.
Hochofen 4: Gestelldurchmesser 8,0 m.
Hochofen 6: Gestelldurchmesser 8,0 m.
Hochofen 7: Gestelldurchmesser 6,85 m.