The steel mill in Georgsmarienhütte, Germany was founded on local iron ore deposits in 1856.
The first blast furnace was installed in 1858.
In 1885 the plant merged with the nearby steel mill in Osnabrück.
An open hearth shop was built in 1904.
In 1923 the site became part of the Klöckner-Werke AG.
A third blast furnace and a second open hearth shop went into production in 1952.
The bar rolling mill number 6 was comissioned in 1965.
In 1982 a coal based (KS-) converter replaced the last open hearth furnaces.
The Osnabrück site was closed in 1987.
In 1994 the last blast furnace (no. 3) was clsed down and a new 130 ton DC-electric arc furnace replaced the KS-converter.
The steel plant in Dneprodzerzhinsk was founded in 1887 on the banks of Ukraine’s largest river the
Dnepr supplied with coal from the Donezk bassin and iron ore from Krivoy Rog. The mill was nationalized in 1917 and named after Feliks Dzierżyński (Revolutionary and founder of the Sowjet secret police) in 1925.
Today the plant is privatized and runs four blast furnaces (No. 1/8/9/12) a BOF shop including two 250 ton top blown vessels. Two continuous casters and several rolling mills for railroad axles, rails, billets, tube blanks, medium sections and sheet pile.
Images now at Stahlseite.
The rolling mill in Königswinter, Germany was built in 1957 by the Lemmerz Werke GmbH
producing wide flats for car wheels.
In 1997 Lemmerz merged with the U.S. based Hayes Wheels International company to form Hayes Lemmerz.
In 2010 the rolling mill was outsourced and proceeded under the new name “Warmwalzwerk Königswinter”.
The steel foundry in Wetterzeube, Germany was founded in 1909 named „Stahlwerk Staeglich und Haberkorn Wetterzeube“. The foundry operated a cupola furnace and two crucible furnaces. These were replaced by an open hearth melt shop in 1921.
After the war the Wetterzeube works were nationalized and became part of the “VEB Stahlgiesserei Elstertal Silbitz” foundry combine in 1955.
In 1985 a 5 ton electric arc furnace, built in the 1950ies and relocated from Bösdorf near Leipzig, was installed.
After the privatization the Wetterzeube foundry became part of the GEW Gestaguss group from Velbert, Germany.
Images now at Stahlseite
the hot strip mill No.2 in Duisburg-Beekerwerth celebrated it’s 50th anniversary in late June.
Installed in 1964 and producing about 6 Mio. tons of hot strip each year it still is one of the most powerfull rolling mills worldwide.
Images now at Stahlseite
The heavy plate mill in Duisburg-Hüttenheim, Germany was built by the Mannesmann company in 1963 to supply plates to their adjecent large diameter pipe welding mill (closed in 1978).
In 1970 the August Thyssen Hütte AG took over the flat rolling business from Mannesmann.
In 1978 the Sack company installed the 3,9 meter four-high rolling stand still in use today.
Images now at Stahlseite
Now on my website.
The Vitkovice steel works were founded in 1828 by the Archduke Rudolf von Österreich called the Rudolf Ironworks (Rudolfshütte).
The first coke fired blast furnace was commissioned in 1836.
In 1843 the viennese banker Salomon Mayer Rothschild bought the site.
A bessemer steel making shop was installed in 1864. From 1874 on the company was called Vitkovice Mining & Iron Corporation (Witkowitzer Bergbau- und Hüttengewerkschaft).
In 1909 a new melt shop including Talbot and open hearth furnaces was built. The company developed into a leading suplier of heavy machinery and steel constructions in Europe.
During the German occupation the works became part of the Reichswerke Hermann Göring.
In 1945 the site was nationalised by the Czechoslowakian government and now called Vítkovicke zelezarny Klement Gottwald (VZKG).
In 1967 the Talbot furnaces were shut down and replaced with tandem furnaces.
The 3,5 meter heavy plate mill was launched in 1972.
The first bottom blowing oxygen converter (72 tons) was commissioned in 1982 and a second vessel with combined blowing followed in 1991. The Tandem furnaces were shut down in 1993. The last blast furnace was closed down in 1998. In 2005 the steel making and rolling activities were sold to the Russian Evraz group.
Engineering Steel Belgium (ESB) in Seraing, Belgium announced that it will finally close down it’s steel making and casting facilities. Production is already down for two weeks.
The 70 ton electric arc furnace and the world’s largest round strand caster were built in 1972 by Cockerill to provide blooms for the Tubemeuse Pilger rolling mill across the river.
Tubemeuse was founded in 1911 under the name S.A. des Usines à Tubes de la Meuse. It was later taken over by Cockerill and went bancrupt in 1988. The mill carried on under the name New Tubemeuse until it filed bancruptcy again in 1993. The tube rolling facilities were closed down this time and the melt shop was sold to the Ellwood Steel
company from Pennsylvania.
In 2009 the German GMH group bought the site.
Five days ago ArcelorMittal already announced the closure of it’s coking plant in Seraing within the next two weeks. The attempt to sell the site (built in 1957) to the U.S.-based Oxbow company had failed.
The new coking plant Schwelgern in Duisburg, Germany was commmissioned by ThyssenKrupp in 2003 replacing the old August-Thyssen coke ovens.
Two batteries of 70 ovens each were built.
Some images now at Stahlseite.
Now at Stahlseite
The Little Matlock Rolling Mill in Sheffield, England was built in 1864 then driven by the water power of the Loxley River.
In 1957 an electric motor replaced the water wheel (which is still there).
The mill was later owned by Barworth Flockton Ltd and in 1997 it was taken over by Firth Rixson Ltd.
After a two year closure Pro-Roll Ltd took the site over in 2001 and saved the rolling mill from demolition.
Pro-Roll Ltd today hand rolls bars in small lots and from speciality alloys.